Paris, Bibliothèque nationale de France - Département des manuscrits, NAL 1411
- F-Pn NAL 1411
- Cistercian antiphoner from the Abbey of St. Mary of Morimondo in the diocese of Milan. Second half of the twelfth century (up to 1174). Staff notation. Monastic cursus. 305 x 210 mm. Sixteenth century binding. Ff. 26 and 33 are small folios inserted later into the original manuscript. (olim F-Pnm NAL 1411, F-Pn n.a.lat. 1411, F-Pn nouv. acq. lat. 1411)
- Liturgical Occasions
- Ff. 1r-141v: Temporale. 1r, Trinity Sunday (partial); 1v, Advent; 22r, Christmas; 34v, Epiphany; 42r, Ferial Office; 56r, Septuagesima; 61v, Lent; 96v, Easter; 108r, Ascension; 113r, Pentecost; 119r, Summer Histories. Ff. 141v-144v: Invitatory tones. Ff. 145r-146v: Tonary. Ff. 146v: Te decet laus.
“Liber sancte mariae de morimundo mediolan[ensis] dioccesis” is written twice on 202v of Paris NAL 1412, although not in the main hand of the manuscript. These indices were prepared from the facsimile edition. In error, f. 79v of Paris NAL 1411 is not included in the facsimile; a second image of 78v is given in its place. The index provided in the facsimile edition however indicates the incipits of the missing chants, the full texts of which are suggested by the corresponding section of the other Cistercian source in the database, Vienna, Österreichische Nationalbibliothek, 1799**. The melodies (and modal assignments) of these chants are probably the same as Vienna 1799**, but have provisionally been left as “?” in the index until the manuscript can be consulted. The codes for differentiae and for chants not included in CAO are the same as those used for Vienna 1799**. Differentiae are identified by both a letter and a number. The letter indicates the pitch on which the formula ends; if more than one formula ends on that pitch, a number is assigned arbitrarily to distinguish them. The foliation used in the index is that given in the manuscript by a modern hand in the top right corner of the folios.
- Selected Bibilography
- Maître, Claire. Un antiphonaire cistercien pour le sanctoral, XIIe siècle: Paris, Bibliothèque nationale de France, nouvelles acquisitions latines 1412. Paris: Éditions du comité des travaux historiques et scientifiques, 1999.
- Maître, Claire. Paris, Bibliothèque nationale de France, nouvelles acquisitions latines 1411: Un antiphonaire cistercien pour le temporal, XIIe siècle. Poithiers: Maison des sciences de l’homme et de la société de Pothiers, 1998.
- BnF link to bibliographic record: http://archivesetmanuscrits.bnf.fr/ead.html?id=FRBNFEAD000069728
- Notes on the Inventory
- The inventory for F-Pn NAL 1411 was prepared by Elizabeth Sander with editorial assistance by Andrew Mitchell at the University of Western Ontario.
- Complete/Partial Inventory
- Complete Inventory
- Full Source/Fragment
- Full Source